Apple Streusel Coffee Cake
photo by _Pixie_
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, chilled
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons water (or more)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a small bowl combine flour and baking powder.
- Beat eggs, milk and vanilla in another small bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl combine sugar and butter; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy.
- Alternately add flour mixture and egg mixture, beating well after each addition; end with flour mixture.
- Spread into prepared cake pan.
- Arrange apples on top, gently pressing into batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the cake bakes, make the streusel topping by combining flour, powdered sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Cut in remaining 2 tablespoons butter until crumbly.
- To make the glaze: mix together powdered sugar and enough water to form a smooth consistency that is just thin enough to drizzle; set aside.
- When the cake is ready, sprinkle top with streusel topping.
- Bake for 15 to 18 more minutes, or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Drizzle with powdered sugar glaze.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
see 3 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I joined Food.com when the site was RecipeZaar, April 24, 2001. This site has been a favorite with me for many years now with its unique features and especially for the many, many dear friends I have met here. If you are a new visitor, I hope you will stop for a while and check us out. I hope you will find it as special as I have.