Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is different from most of the Banana Split Cakes I have seen on Zaar. I am not too fond of the one made with pudding, pineapple, etc. This is an actual banana cake with a chocolate ring of cake inside, almost pound cake in consistency. It is served with Strawberry Sauce. The recipe is from Better Homes and Gardens All Time Favorite Cake and Cookie Recipes, circa 1980.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 medium banana, mashed (1/2 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup powdered cocoa mix
for the strawberry sauce
- 4 cups strawberries (unsweetened, fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 drops red food coloring (optional)
- For Cake:.
- Grease and lightly flour 10-inch fluted tube pan.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- In a separate mixer bowl beat buter or margarine on medium speed about 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating 1 minute after each.
- In a separate bowl, combine mashed banana, sour cream, and milk.
- Add dry ingredients and banana mixture to sugar/butter mixture alternately, beating on low speed after each addition until just combined.
- Spoon 1 cup of the batter into a separate bowl and mix in cocoa powder.
- Spoon the banana batter into prepared cake pan. Spoon cocoa batter on top in a ring, do not spread to edges.
- Bske in a 350 degrees oven for 60 to 70 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Place cake on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Serve with Strawberry Sauce.
- Strawberry Sauce.
- Thaw strawberries, if frozen, drain.
- In a saucepan, crust 1 cup of he strawberries, add water.
- Cook for 2 minutes; sieve.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch; stir into sieved mixture.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Add food coloring if desired.
- Halve remaining large berries. stir all remaining berries into sauce.