Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
A want-to-try recipe from Best of Country Cooking.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups bananas, ripe, mashed (about 3 to 4 medium)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup pecans, chopped, toasted
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pecans, Toasted chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in bananas and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt;; add to creamed mixture.
- alternately with buttermilk.
- Stir in pecans.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round cake pans.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For the frosting, beat cream cheese, butter and sugar in a small mixing bowl.
- Add vanilla.
- Spread between layers and over top of cake.
- Sprinkle with pecans.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- Yield: 12-16 servings.