Recipe by JamesDean'sGirl
My sister-in-law LOVES bread pudding; she makes this all the time during fall and winter!
- 1 loaf good-quality white bread or 1 loaf raisin bread, cut into cubes (1 pound)
- 2 medium ripe bananas, sliced
- 3 1⁄2 cups prepared eggnog (not in a can)
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar or 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rum extract
- powdered sugar, for serving
- vanilla ice cream, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- MAKE THE PUDDING: Prheat oven to 375*F; grease a 13x9" baking pan (3 quarts).
- Place 1/2 the bread cubes in the baking pan; top with the banana slices and remaining bread cubes.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggnog, eggs, sugar, and nutmeg; blend well.
- Pour over the bread cubes; let stand 5 minutes.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, make the SAUCE: In a small saucepan, combine all the sauce ingredients except the rum extract.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the rum extract; serve sauce warm.
- Dust individual servings with powdered sugar and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.