Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is not low fat! that's why it tastes so good! I have searched for the ultimate banana cream pie recipe and have finally found it. I know you will agree!
- 2 -3 bananas
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup cream
- 1 prebaked pie shell
- Slice bananas and sprinkle lightly with lemon juice.
- To make custard: In saucepan, stir sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Add milk and whisk until smooth.
- Turn on heat to medium.
- Stir constantly until mixture boils.
- Let boil 2 minutes, remove from heat.
- Mix 1/8 cup of hot milk mixture into egg yolks.
- Add another 1/8 cup of mixture.
- Add yolk mixture to hot milk mixture in pot and return to heat.
- Mix well until custard bubbles, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla.
- Smear 2-3 tbsp custard over bottom of pie shell.
- Layer sliced bananas over bottom and top with custard.
- Refrigerate 3 hours and top with whipped cream.
This what I was looking for ! My die hard banana cream lovers want unadulterated banana cream pie. Don't add any extras. I did one thing differently from your recipe and this applies to all cream pies. I separate my eggs, beat them, then add them to the milk, cornstarch, salt, and sugar mixture. Voila! No scrambled eggs with your pie! I make a chocolate pie from this site and that is what is recommended for that recipe. It worked for the banana cream, so I'm sure it would work for all cream pies.
This really is the ulitmate banana cream pie. My whole family loved it. It has a wonderful rich taste!