Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This banana cream pie is a recipe of my Grandma's. This from scratch recipe is delicious and one that is not for those counting calories!!! Even though this recipe is best when prepared from scratch, if you do not have time it can easily be prepared with a premade pie crust, banana pudding mix and Cool Whip
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 5 tablespoons water, ice cold
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon banana extract
- 1 banana
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- To prepare the crust, combine first 4 ingredients together in a food processor or with a pastry cutter.
- Form the dough into a ball and place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- After the dough has chilled for atleast an hour, take it out of the refrigerator and roll it out, on a floured surface, to about 12 inches in diameter.
- Place the rolled dough in a pie dish. Be sure to poke holes in the bottom with a fork to prevent rising of the crust.
- Bake the crust for 20 to 30 minutes.
- To prepare the filling, on the stove combine cornstarch, sugar, milk, and the eggs over medium heat. Cook the mixture till it has thicken then remove it from the heat and add the banana extract.
- Allow both the crust and filling to cool before asembling the pie. When the crust has cooled, slice the banana and layer it on the bottom of the pie crust. Then top with banana filling.
- To prepare whipped cream, beat together the whipping cream and 3 tablespoons of sugar. Then add that to the top of the pie.