Recipe by Barb G.
A very tasty banana cake. The recipe comes from the New York Times.
Top Review by jrtfan
I am not a fan of banana anything, but this cake sure changed my mind! It's easy to whip up and tastes like a million bucks. Made as is without the banana creme...added a smidge of vanilla to the icing and sprinkled chopped pecans on top. This is definitely going into the keeper file! Thanks for posting!
- vegetable shortening
- 517.37 g package yellow cake mix
- 118.29 ml packed light brown sugar
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 236.59 ml water
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 9.85 ml creme de banane (optional)
Banana Cream Cheese Frosting
- 113.39 g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 59.16 ml butter, room temterture
- 354.88 ml powdered sugar
- 2.46 ml banana flavoring
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- lightly grease and flour a 13x9-inch baking pan, shake out excess flour.
- Place cake mix, brown sugar and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- Add mashed bananas, ONE CUP OF WATER, oil, eggs and if desired, liqueur.
- Blend with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute.
- Stop mixer and scrape down side of bowl with rubber spatula.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed until well blended.
- Pour into prepared pan, place on center rack of oven.
- Bake until lightly browned, About 40 minutes, toothpick inserted in center comes out clean Remove from oven, cool on wire rack.
- FROSTING: Place cream cheese and butter in large mixing bowl.
- Blend with mixer on low until combined.
- Add powdered sugar a little at a time, and blend on low speed until well mixed.
- Add flavoring and blend until fluffy.
- Use at once to frost cake.