Recipe by Melanie Jackson
My absolute favourite Banana Cake recipe. Yum! Makes either 1 9x13 or 2 9 inch cake layers.
Top Review by Chef Goldiegirl
Wonderful recipe. A keeper. I made it per directions the first time and it was great. The second time I used 1 1/3 cup white sugar and 1/3 cup light brown sugar and added about tsp of vanilla. It was awesome. I will never buy a box mix of banana cake ever again. This is just too good and too easy to make! Thanks for sharing it.
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups bananas, mashed
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend shortening and dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Adding bananas and half of the buttermilk, mix until moistened; beat two minutes on medium speed.
- Add the rest of the buttermilk and the eggs, beating two more minutes.
- Pour into cake pan and bake at 350F until done (approx. 30 minutes).
- Cool 10 minutes in pan, then remove from pan to complete cooling.