Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Moist cake with nice banana flavor. Needs no icing.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed bananas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift dry ingredients together, set aside.
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs and buttermilk to sugar mixture.
- Combine dry ingredients into wet.
- When incorporated, stir in mashed banana.
- Pour batter into a greased, floured tube pan (angel food cake pan).
- Bake 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool slightly, run knife around edges of pan to loosen cake, remove cake from pan.
- Finish cooling cake on a wire rack.
- Slice into wedges.
This is a wonderful Banana Bread. I don't often make banana bread in a tube pan but will from here on in. This recipe is moist, nice height and has great flavor. I did put a glaze over the cake. Repeats on this one. Thanks Sheynath for sharing. Recipe swap #27 Aus/NZ
We love Banana Cake, and this one is great! Packs well for my daughter's lunch and doubles as dessert in the evening. Excellent recipe! Made for Aussie Swap :)
Good and easy is right! I did this exactly according to directions and it came out wonderful, although it baked about ten minutes longer than specified, in a Springform tube pan. DH and DD15 ate a third of the cake while it was still warm. Made for OZ/NZ swap April 2008.