Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an easy, everyday recipe that takes about 45 minutes to make. Don't be put off by the number of ingredients - it's just a pinch of this, a little of that. From "Indian, 100 Everyday Recipes" by Love Food.
- 3 tablespoons ghee or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nigella seeds
- 4 black peppercorns
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste
- kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced (or use thigh meat)
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped plus extra sprigs for garnish
- 2 fresh green chilies, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Heat the ghee or vegetable oil over low heat in a large skillet;cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, about 19 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, nigella seeds, peppercorns, cardamom, cinnamon, chili powder, garam masala, garlic and ginger paste, and some salt and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and stir for 5 minutes to coat in the spices; stir in the yogurt, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro, chiles, and lime juice; transfer to a serving platter.
- Garnish with additional cilantro sprigs and serve.