This is an easy, everyday recipe that takes about 45 minutes to make. Don't be put off by the number of ingredients - it's just a pinch of this, a little of that. From "Indian, 100 Everyday Recipes" by Love Food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons ghee or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon nigella seeds
- 4 black peppercorns
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste
- kosher salt
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced (or use thigh meat)
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped plus extra sprigs for garnish
- 2 fresh green chilies, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1Heat the ghee or vegetable oil over low heat in a large skillet;cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, about 19 minutes.
- 2Add the tomatoes, nigella seeds, peppercorns, cardamom, cinnamon, chili powder, garam masala, garlic and ginger paste, and some salt and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes.
- 3Add the chicken and stir for 5 minutes to coat in the spices; stir in the yogurt, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
- 4Stir in the chopped cilantro, chiles, and lime juice; transfer to a serving platter.
- 5Garnish with additional cilantro sprigs and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Balti Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 223.0
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 89.6 mg
- Sodium 147.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 25.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green cardamom pods