1 hr 20 mins
An old recipe from Gourmet Magazine by David Rosengarten author of The Dean and DeLuca Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms or 1 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 6 chicken thighs, rinsed and patted dry
- all-purpose flour (for dredging)
- 1/4 lb bacon, cut crosswise into 1/3 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup fruity red wine, such as Beaujolais
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup drained and chopped canned tomato
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot, dissolved in
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- minced fresh flat-leaf parsley (to garnish)
- 1In a small bowl let the porcini soak in 1 cup boiling water for 10 minutes, or until they are soft, and drain them well, reserving the liquid.
- 2Season the chicken with pepper and dredge it in the flour, shaking off the excess.
- 3In a large heavy skillet cook the bacon over moderate heat, stirring, until it is golden and crisp, transfer it with a slotted spoon to paper towels, and let it drain. Add to the skillet the chicken, skin side down, and cook it, turning it occasionally, for 20 minutes, or until it is golden and crisp. Transfer the chicken with a slotted spoon to a plate, season it with salt, and discard the fat in the skillet.
- 4Add the oil to the skillet and in it cook the garlic over low heat, stirring for 1 minute. Add the reserved porcini liquid, the wine, the broth, and 3 tablespoons of the vinegar and boil the mixture for 4 minutes. Add the arrowroot mixture in a stream, stirring, stir in the tomatoes and add the chicken, turning it to coat it with the sauce. Simmer the mixture, covered, for 10 minutes, stir in the porcini and the bacon and simmer the mixture, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle the mixture with the parsley.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Balsamic Vinegar Chicken With Wild Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (224 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 355.1
- Calories from Fat 227
- Total Fat 25.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 91.8 mg
- Sodium 350.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 19.5 g