Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is adapted from a recipe on drfuhrman.com. I made some changes to better fit our taste preferences and simplified the instructions. You can reduce prep time by using frozen chopped broccoli and jarred garlic.
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb broccoli, stems chopped and florets cut to bite size
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 2 mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oil (to coat pan)
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Place vinegar in a small pan and boil over medium heat until it is syrup-like and reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Pour vinegar into a large bowl and whisk in mustard and thyme and set sauce aside.
- Prepare garlic, broccoli, pepper and mushrooms.
- Coat large covered non-stick frying pan or Dutch oven (at least 5 quarts) with oil. Add garlic, broccoli, pepper and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, adding small amount of water as needed to prevent sticking until broccoli is tender crisp.
- Mix in reserved sauce. Sprinkle with walnuts.