Recipe by PSU Lioness
This one was a huge hit with the family! I changed the ingredient amounts and added some lemon juice to counteract the vinegar. I just want to say that this in not for the faint of heart! You must like vinegar to enjoy this dish. Adapted from a dish on readyseteat.com.
- 16 ounces penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, diced (fat removed)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup onion, sliced into rings then cut in half
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano (Hunt's is suggested)
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- splash dry red wine (about 1 Tbsp)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook penne according to package directions. Drain when finished cooking.
- While penne is cooking, heat olive oil in large skillet over Medium heat.
- Season chicken with garlic salt and pepper.
- Cook until chicken is no longer pink; drain.
- Add onions to skillet and cook for about a minute or two.
- Lightly drain tomatoes; add to skillet along with balsamic, lemon juice and wine. Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to Medium-Low and simmer until slightly reduced and tomatoes are starting to break down (about 15 minutes).
- Serve over penne.