Recipe by Duane and Ginger Vanden Brink
I live in Holland, Michigan and these are just a few of the "traditional" recipes I've collected from people I know who probably brought them from "the old country." Enjoy! Balkenbrij (Liverwurst)
- 2 lbs beef liver or 2 lbs pork liver
- 2 lbs beef heart or 2 lbs pork heart
- 2 lbs pork roast
- 10 -12 cups broth (reserved from cooking (add water to make enough)
- 6 -7 cups buckwheat flour
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim and cook liver in separate kettle, keep broth.
- Remove veins.
- Trim fat and veins from heart, cook, keep broth.
- Trim fat from roast and cook, keep broth.
- When all meats are cooked, put through food grinder using coarse cutter.
- Put all ground meat and broth in 8 quart kettle. Add salt and pepper.
- Bring to boiling, adding buckwheat flour a little at a time to mix well.
- Mixture will become very thick.
- Spoon and press into 4 to 5 loaf pans.
- Refrigerate or freeze. To serve, slice and brown on both sides, with a slice of cheese if desired, or with syrup.