Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 3 lbs zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs (more if mixture is soggy)
- 1⁄4 cup packed fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- additional parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease an 8 inch square pan.
- Steam the zucchini until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and mash coarsely with a fork. Sppon zucchini into a sieve and drain well, pressing down to release excess water. Place the drained zucchini in a large bowl.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Saute until light brown. Add the onion mixture to the zucchini.
- Add eggs, 1/2 C parmesan, basil and bread crumbs. Stir to blend well. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the mixture to the greased baking pan and bake in the oven until firm in the center and brown on top, about 45 minutes.