Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Baked veggies makes this dish special. This recipe is from a clipping out of a magazine. Not sure which on but this is sooo tasty.
- 1 lb eggplant, cubed
- 1 large red onion, cubed
- 2 yellow peppers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) package ziti pasta, cooked according to directions on package
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, chopped
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 450F.
- Toss eggplant, red onion, peppers, oil and salt in shallow pan.
- Roast 30 minutes stirring once or twice until vegetables begin to brown.
- Sauce: Heat oil in saucepan.
- Add onions& cook covered over medium heat 10 min.
- Stir in garlic, red pepper and fennel Cook 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes salt pepper sugar and thyme.
- Bring to boil reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stirr in parsley.
- Makes 3 cups.
- Reduce oven heat to 400F.
- Toss ziti with vegetables sauce and spinach in bowl.
- Spread in shallow 3-quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle mozzarella over top.
- Bake 20 minutes or until bubbly.
Yummmmmmy! I made this with one change. I halved the recipe. Instead of a 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes,I used about 2/3 of a 26 ounce can of spaghetti sauce(4 cheese). Loved the roasted veggies in this. Thanks!