Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a very flavorful recipe. I have had people that don't even care for yams - love these! For years I never added the cardamom (it's very pungent) but I finally added it this year - and WOW - it really makes the flavor POP!
- 3 lbs yams, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, toss together all ingredients. Transfer to a large 9x13 pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes and stir potatoes. Bake for another 20 minutes (or until potatoes are tender).
This was absolutely delicious! I love yams, but I don't much like the usual way they're prepared (way too sweet and gooey). This had just enough sweetness to be very satisfying, and the ginger was a lovely balance. I used the cardamom, and can't imagine not including it! It was terrific. This may be my new favorite way to prepare yams -- thanks so much for posting this! PS: Nearly a year later, I have to add that this is still my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE way to eat yams/sweet potatoes. I more than double the cardamom, and it's just wonderful. I'm shocked that more people haven't tried this.
This was delicious, thanks! I might double the cardamom next time, too.
Our family also has a "sweet potatoe puff"-like tradition, with pecans and coconut, etc. But I like this even better. I love sweet potatoes/yams anyway, but this is delicious.