Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a really yummy and easy to make side dish. My late father loved it so much that he could have made an entire meal off just this side dish and some french bread.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained and 2 cups juice reserved
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup real butter
- 1 dash salt
- 3 cups coarsely-ground breadcrumbs
- Mix cornstarch with just enough juice to make a smooth paste. Pour remaining juice into a saucepan (if additional juice is needed to equal 2 cups, use V8 juice); stir in cornstarch mixture. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally until thickened; juice will have a glossy appearance.
- In a separate saucepan, heat tomatoes, sugar, salt and butter until sugar and butter melt. Add thickened juice; stir and simmer for a few minutes.
- Put a very thin layer of bread crumbs (barely covering bottom) in a buttered casserole dish. Pour in tomatoes, and top with remaining bread crumbs. Bake at 400°F for about 20-25 minutes, until bubbly and browned.