This recipe is from my Seaward Inn Cookbook. My husband loves it so much that I am putting it on-line to reference while travelling. I serve it with egg noodles. The Seaward Inn is a lovely place in Rockport, MA, that we visited each summer while the Campbell family owned it. Great food and ambience!
- 2 slices bread
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom seed
- 5 tablespoons flour or 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef consomme
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can water
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- Soak bread in milk.
- Add the following to soaked bread:.
- - Eggs, slightly beaten.
- - Ground beef.
- - Onion.
- - Sugar.
- - Spices (except dill weed).
- Shape into 1" balls. Brown on all sides in skillet (or bake in 400 degree oven for 20 min.).
- Remove meatballs to 2 quart casserole.
- In skillet, or saucepan:.
- Add 5 Tbsp flour (or cornstarch) to meat drippings, then add 1 can Consomme and 1 can water.
- Note: Shake with 1 soup can of water with flour (or cornstarch) if meatballs were baked. Then add to Consomme.
- Cook, stirring gravy until thick and smooth.
- Add 1 cup light cream and 1 tsp dillweed, and stir until blended.
- Add to meatballs.
- Bake, covered for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.