Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A rib-sticking, easy comfort meal from the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1360.77 g spareribs
- 946.0 ml sauerkraut
- salt and pepper
Lancaster Egg Dumplings
- 473.18 ml flour, sifted
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 236.59 ml milk
- Cut spareribs into serving portions, season and place in a roasting pan.
- Add sauerkraut, cover and bake at 350F for 90 minutes.
- To make the dumplings, sift dry ingredients together very well.
- Add egg to milk and stir into flour to form a smooth batter.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto sauerkraut.
- Cover pan tightly and finish baking for 30 minutes.
Super good. Good tang without being too strong, I find a lot of sauerkrauts too much for me. I used canned sauerkraut and did not drain it. My dumplings were very dense, but good. Very easy throw in a pan dinner. I served with latkes.