Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
"In this spin on New Orleans's classic appetizer of barbecue shrimp, chipotle chiles stand in for cayenne and black pepper, truly transforming the dish with a beguiling play of spice, a hint of smoke, and a gorgeous brick-red color. Here, we serve the shrimp as a main course — but in the spirit of the original, we've kept this a meal to eat with your hands. Peeling the shrimp, slurping their shells, and scooping up the hot, buttery sauce with crusty bread makes for nothing less than a feast. Best of all, it's ready in a flash." Accompaniment: baguette Gourmet - January 2006
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2-3-qt ceramic or glass shallow baking dish.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and stir in wine, Worcestershire sauce, chipotles with adobo sauce (to taste), garlic, and salt.
- Toss shrimp with sauce in baking dish and bake until shrimp are just cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Sauce can be briefly simmered (with shrimp removed) to reduce it as needed.
- Cooks' note: Shrimp with heads on can be used; you'll need 1 3/4 pounds.