Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
If you are a fan of pumpkin pie, you will love this, it's kinda like pie without the crust. The larger amount of pumpkin yields a creamier result. You can make it in the one large pan, or several smaller pans. Just remember to shorten the baking time so it doesn't get overdone. This also freezes really well. Originally from a food mag, but I don't remember which one.
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups canned pumpkin
- 2 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 450 F and grease a 9x13 pan, or several smaller pans.
- Combine pumpkin and buttermilk.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in sugars and butter, then beat in eggs.
- Combine and sift all dry ingredients.
- Add to pumpkin batter a little at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and place in a hot water bath in the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 F and bake for another 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
My family really enjoyed this baked pumpkin pudding. Thought the texture was just right for a baked pudding. Keep in mind this will not have the texture of pumpkin pie because the ingredients are so different. I did make a few changes. Used Hubbard squash instead of pumpkin. The squash was from our garden, and is a great substitute for pumpkin. Decreased the nutmeg to a quarter of a teaspoon, added a half teaspoon ground ginger and an eighth teaspoon ground cloves. Might increase the spices next time. Served with barely sweetened whipped cream.
Not completely inedible, but definitely will not make this again. There really is not much of a pumpkin taste to this recipe, definitely needs more pumpkin (or maybe less flour). If expecting the texture to be similar to pumpkin pie, don't make this, as the texture is somewhat gummy, almost like the consistency of a dry bread pudding. Sorry graffee, I had high hopes, but this needs some tweaking.