Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is AMAZING! It's from the All Recipes Cookbook. You can kind of decide if it's a salad or a casserole. To me it's best potato casserole I think I've ever tasted! I had to pull myself away from the pan and kitchen all together or I'd still be in there stuffing my face! This has been altered a tad for my taste...do as you see fit :)
- 8 potatoes
- 1 lb bacon, chopped
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, sliced
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 325°F Butter a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender (whole) but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool, and slice 1/4 inch thick.
- Place chopped bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until lightly brown. Drain, and set aside.
- Combine the potatoes, cheese, onion, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper. Mix well and pour into prepared baking dish.
- Top with bacon and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
I give this recipe a two thumbs up! I did alternate it because my husband and I would have been eating a lot of potatoes, lol. I used 2 big potatoes, 4 thick slices of bacon, some sharp cheddar cheese, low fat mayo (3 Table spoons). I fried the bacon for about 5 minutes and then threw in the onion for the rest of the time. I tossed it all the ingredients together along with some garlic powder. Then throw some more cheddar on top. OH! it was delicious! Will be making this one again for sure. It was so easy!
I think I messed up this recipe because the type of potato to use wasn't specified. I used standard baking potatoes and there wasn't enough of the cheese/bacon mixture for the amount of potatoes. A number of pounds of potatoes or a specific type would help because I was dissapointed by how my dish turned out. Would give it another try.
LOVE IT and so does the family. I've made it a few times and everytime its hard to back away from the pan!!!