Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I always adapt this original recipe from nutritionist Melissa Diane Smith's book, "Going Against the Grain". It's a terrific recipe. I use a 9x13 pan, 4 chops, as much cabbage mix as will fit in the pan, and lots & lots of caraway. I haven't needed much water, I've found, but I always check anyway. This is so easy, you have to try it at least once! Maybe you'll love it! I do, which is why I make enough to have leftovers. : )
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat oil on medium in a nonstick frying pan and quickly brown pork chops on both sides.
- Put the pork chops in a covered baking dish.
- Place the shredded cabbage around the pork chops, sprinkle with the caraway seeds, and add 2 T of water.
- Bake, covered, for 1 hour.
- Halfway through, check dish and add more water if needed.
- When done, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste before serving.
I didn't make the recipe as posted. For 8 servings I added 2 cored and sliced apples which I placed in the bottom of the baking dish. 1/2 cup of apple juice in place of the water. Then I added the browned pork chops...The cabbage... Then I sprinkled dried minced onions...garlic powder...and cararway seeds on the cabbage. It was very easy and my company enjoyed it.