1/1 Photo of Baked Polenta With Mushrooms
This needs nothing more than a green salad and a berry-flavored wine such as; Bourgogne Rouge or Burgundy would be perfect. This can be used for a diabetic diet in moderation, as a side dish. Of course hot bread goes without saying. Forgot to include Food & Wine Magazine.Update: 11/01/08 Thanks to Lori Mama; she suggests making it with chicken broth instead of water - now why didn't I think of that? :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/2 cups water or 4 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups coarse cornmeal or 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 7 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 lbs mushrooms, sliced thin (I like button mushrooms but use any of your choice or a combination)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground coarse black pepper
- 6 ounces grated Fontina cheese
- garnish with chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1Heat oven to 350°F.
- 2In medium saucepan, bring the water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil.
- 3Add the cornmeal in a slow stream, whisking.
- 4Whisk in tablespoon of the butter 1/4 teaspoon of the sage.
- 5Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until vey thick, about 20 minutes.
- 6Stir in 3 tablespoons of the Parmesan.
- 7Meanwhile, butter an 8"x12" baking dish.
- 8In a large frying pan, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter and 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderately high heat.
- 9Add half the mushrooms, 1/2 of garlic 1/4 tsp each of the salt and sage and 1/4 tsp of the pepper.
- 10Cook, stirring frequently until the mushrooms are golden, about 5 minutes.
- 12Repeat with remaining mushrooms, salt, garlic, salt, sage and pepper.
- 13Pour half the polenta into the baking dish and spread in an even layer.
- 14Top with half the mushrooms, followed by half of the Fontina and 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan.
- 15Repeat with remaining polenta, mushrooms, Fontina and Parmesan.
- 16Bake until cheese is bubbling, about 15 minutes.
- 17Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Polenta With Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 363.7
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.9 g
- Cholesterol 53.2 mg
- Sodium 958.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 15.6 g