This is a wonderful dish, especially if you have a houseful of guests over for the holidays. Is great warm or cold and you can add which ever fruit or nuts you prefer. This is from Penzey's spices. This recipe is great! Even people who don't really like oatmeal love this one!
- 2 1⁄4 cups quick-cooking oats or 2 3⁄4 cups old fashioned oats, uncooked
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup raisins or 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄3 cups skim milk
- 4 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray an 8-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine oats, sugar, raisins, walnuts, cinnamon and salt. Mix well.
- In a medium bowl, combine milk, egg whites, oil and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well blended.
- Pour into a baking dish. Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes or until firm to the touch. Cool slightly. Serve topped with milk, yogurt, fruit or enjoy plain. Store leftover oatmeal tightly covered in the fridge.