Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
I have not tried this recipe. I got this recipe from Obesity Help. It was posted by Cagair.
- 12 ounces package reduced-fat mozzarella string cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 8 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1⁄2 cup prepared marinara sauce, warmed (optional)
- Position rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Remove cheese from packaging and set aside. In a small bowl, whisk egg until foamy. In small non-stick skillet, mix Italian seasoning with bread crumbs and place over medium heat. Cook and stir bread crumbs until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Dip one piece of string cheese in egg until coated and then into toasted bread crumbs, coating completely. Redip the string cheese in egg and again into the bread crumbs, if desired. Place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining string cheese and place on baking sheet 1 1/2 inches apart. Spray string cheese lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake 5-6 minutes or until heated through. (Cheese may melt slightly and loose shape. Simply press it back into place.) Suggested serving: 2 with warmed marinara sauce for dipping.
These were good - I found that I needed to add about 1 tbsp of milk to the egg mixture to get enough for the cheese, and I used 8 oz of low-fat bar mozzarella instead of the processed string kind (the nutritionist in me wouldn't go for it). I'd sugges adding some cornmeal to the coating too - we did that the second time and it was delicious!