Recipe by Fran
I found this recipe on-line by Chef Rocco. I adapted it to accommodate for my chicken allergy and wanted to reduce the fat content and changed it to baking the balls, rather than frying. I make these the same time I make my dogs mutt loaves, since many of the ingredients are similar (LOL). I love them and use with red sauce, pesto sauce, alfredo and even a simple mushroom gravy. The combinations are endless.
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped fine
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground pork
- 1 lb ground veal
- 2⁄3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the water, onion, garlic, and parsley in a blender or food processor and puree.
- In a large bowl, combine the pureed mix, meat, bread crumbs, egg, Parmesan or Romano cheese, red pepper flakes, and salt.
- Combine with hands until mixture is uniform, do not over mix.
- Form mixture into balls 1-1/2" to 2" diameter. I use foil muffing tins to cook in (easy clean-up).
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, depending on size and oven.