- 24 ounces 80% lean ground beef (20% fat)
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1⁄4 cup finely minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup pesto sauce (prepared or store bought or Pesto)
- 1 lb ziti pasta or 1 lb penne, cooked al dente
- 2 cups Baby Spinach, chopped
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 cups cubed mozzarella cheese (about 12 ounces)
- 1 cup freshly grated romano cheese (about 3 ounces)
- black pepper
- 6 -8 cups tomato sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Grease a cookie sheet with spray.
- Mix all ingredients together by hand and form into over sized golf balls.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until no longer pink in the middle.
- Just before pasta is done add spinach to the cooking water for 1 minute then drain well.
- Lower oven to 350°F
- Oil a 10 x 13 casserole pan.
- Mix Ricotta, egg, parsley, mozzarella, and 3/4 of the Romano cheese.
- Mix the cheese together with the cooked pasta to coat.
- Spoon about 1 cup tomato sauce prepared dish and spoon half of pasta on top. Place meatballs on pasta topping with half the remaining sauce. Spread remaining pasta mixture and then top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with Romano cheese. And if you like top with additional mozzarella sliced thin. Bake ziti in middle of oven 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden, and let stand 10 minutes before serving.