Recipe by "Food:The Way To Anyone's Heart"
This recipe comes from a 2006 edition of Southern Living. It is wonderful! I used sharp Cheddar cheese as I could not find white Cheddar.
- 1 (8 ounce) packagelarge elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (16 ounce) package white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 32 Ritz crackers, finely crushed and divided
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced onions and 1 teaspoons sugar. Cook, stirring often, 15 to 20 minutes or until onions are caramel-colored.
- Layer half each of macaroni, onions, cheeses, and cracker crumbs in a lightly greased 13x9-inch baking dish. Layer with remaining macaroni, onions, and cheeses.
- Whisk together eggs and next 3 ingredients; pour over macaroni mixture.
- Stir together remaining cracker crumbs, melted butter, and, if desired, pecans. Sprinkle evenly over macaroni mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until golden brown and set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.