Recipe by anti-suburban housewife
OH MY GOD this is by far the best recipe for mac n cheese I've ever gotten and the best part is NO processed cheese product!! It is well worth the effort put into it. It may seem a little difficult, but if a clod like myself can do it, trust me, so can you!
- 1⁄2 lb elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large egg
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I like using both Vermont white cheddar and Wisconsin extra-sharp cheddar cheese)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- crushed kettle cooked potato chips (i use cape cod 40% reduced fat, like it matters with this recipe!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water cook the pasta to al dente.
- While the pasta cooks, in a separate pot, melt the butter.
- Whisk in the flour and mustard and keep it moving for about 5 minute Make sure it is free of lumps.
- Stir in milk, onion, bay leaf and paprika. Simmer for 10 minute and remove bay leaf.
- Temper in the egg.
- Stir in 3/4 of the cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Fold the macaroni into the mix and pour into a 2 quart baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese and potato chips.
- Bake 30 minute Let stand for 5 minutes before serving, then bask in the compliments during dinner!