Recipe by Leslie in Texas
Here's a healthier alternative to the usual deep-fried hush puppies. I think these look like mini corn muffins, but they taste the way a hush puppy should. Originally from an August 1983 issue of Bon Apetit from "The Cook's Exchange Readers' Best Recipes".
Top Review by JGsped
My late wife was a great cook of Southern food, but hush puppies eluded her. Since I don't deep fry anything, decided to try these, and they were better than anything she cooked for me. Not quite like the real thing, but very good.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely diced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray cups of mini muffin pans with nonstick vegetable spray.
- Blend cornmeal, flour,baking powder, salt, sugar and red pepper in medium bowl.
- Stir in onion.
- Beat eggs, milk and oil in small bowl.
- Add to cornmeal mixture and stir just until blended.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan, filling cups 1/2 to 2/3 full.
- Bake until golden, about 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Serve immediately.