Here's a healthier alternative to the usual deep-fried hush puppies. I think these look like mini corn muffins, but they taste the way a hush puppy should. Originally from an August 1983 issue of Bon Apetit from "The Cook's Exchange Readers' Best Recipes".
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray cups of mini muffin pans with nonstick vegetable spray.
- Blend cornmeal, flour,baking powder, salt, sugar and red pepper in medium bowl.
- Stir in onion.
- Beat eggs, milk and oil in small bowl.
- Add to cornmeal mixture and stir just until blended.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan, filling cups 1/2 to 2/3 full.
- Bake until golden, about 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Serve immediately.
My late wife was a great cook of Southern food, but hush puppies eluded her. Since I don't deep fry anything, decided to try these, and they were better than anything she cooked for me. Not quite like the real thing, but very good.
To the reviewer who substituted whole wheat flour instead of AP, I'm not surprised you were disappointed. Whole wheat flour has completely different characteristics, and you need to doctor recipes A LOT to make them work. I'd suggest you either use AP flour the next time you try it or resign yourself to some experimentation before you condemn the recipe. For more info on using wheat flour, visit this link: http://www.bhg.com/advice/food/baking/can-i-substitute-whole-wheat-flour-for-all-purpose-flour-when-baking/