Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Sweet, Smokey and Spicy! Go ahead and leave the seeds in if you enjoy the heat.
- 5 -7 lbs smoked ham
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 (10 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 -2 chipotle chile in adobo, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Mix cornstarch with a little cold water to dissolve.
- Place all ingredients except for ham in a blender and blend smooth, in a small saucepan over medium heat bring to a boil them simmer till thickened.
- Preheat oven to 375 ° F.
- Place ham, cut end down, in a large baking pan and score skin.
- Bake ham for 15 minutes.
- Brush glaze over ham and bake for another hour or until internal temperature reads 140 °F.
- Baste half way through baking.
Thanks for the awesome recipe! It was worth hauling out the blender. I like spicy foods so I left in the pepper seeds and consider the heat perfect! My only change was that my ham wasn't smoked so I followed the ham package instructions (325 F, covered, with some water in the dish) for half the time, then pulled off the foil and basted the ham every twenty minutes until done. Beautiful!
I followed this recipe with 2 exceptions: I didn't add salt, since ham is already salty, and I added a tsp of cinnamon. Perfection! My 20 guests were sopping up the excess glaze with their bread! Thank you Rita!
This is the most wonderful recipe EVER!! This glaze would taste great on a shoe..lol i did double the recipe and used a total of 2 chipotle's didn't double the spices and it was perfection.. the DH could not stop picking little pieces off the ham every time he walked by.
I think this glaze would be great on chicken, pork.. but i think im going to try it on some baby back ribs.. just the right spice and sticky"ness" will be making this often!