Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This delicious fish is another of our favorites when I make it. I found this recipe in a Luby's Cafeteria free recipe cards dispenser at the cash register counter.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, almonds, salt and butter or margarine and mix well, (if it is necessary add additional butter, mixing well until crumb mixture begins to hold together.).
- Coat fish with flour, shaking off excess. Spread mayonnaise evenly over fillets and cover evenly with the crumbs mixture, lightly pressing into the fish fillets.
- Place them skin down in a baking pan large enough to hold in a single layer, (or use a baking pan with a low rack to hold fish above and the water under the rack.).
- Carefully pour water around the fish to about 1/8 inch depth and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until fish flakes when tested with a fork.
- Note: Take special care when pouring the thinnest possible layer of water around the fish, so don't wash away or wet the topping. This step helps to ensure that the fish cooks up moist and tender.
We lived in TX for over 30 years and ate at Luby's many times. This recipe was a favorite of ours. Made this the other day and it brought back memories. Thanks for posting.