Recipe by pink cook
This delicious fish is another of our favorites when I make it. I found this recipe in a Luby's Cafeteria free recipe cards dispenser at the cash register counter.
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs, coarsely ground
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, toasted and sliced
- 3 tablespoons light butter, melted (or use margarine)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 (6 -8 ounce) cod fish fillets (or use Flounder, Haddock, or any other fish fillets)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise, light
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, almonds, salt and butter or margarine and mix well, (if it is necessary add additional butter, mixing well until crumb mixture begins to hold together.).
- Coat fish with flour, shaking off excess. Spread mayonnaise evenly over fillets and cover evenly with the crumbs mixture, lightly pressing into the fish fillets.
- Place them skin down in a baking pan large enough to hold in a single layer, (or use a baking pan with a low rack to hold fish above and the water under the rack.).
- Carefully pour water around the fish to about 1/8 inch depth and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until fish flakes when tested with a fork.
- Note: Take special care when pouring the thinnest possible layer of water around the fish, so don't wash away or wet the topping. This step helps to ensure that the fish cooks up moist and tender.