Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Sobeys Inspired magazine Spring 2011 with adjustments. You can use jarred red peppers if you like.
- 5 slices bacon, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 6 small red potatoes, cooked in their skins, peeled and cut into medium chunks
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 roasted peppers, cut into 1 inch dice
- 1 (365 ml) can diced tomatoes, with their juice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon thyme, fresh
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In large skillet over medium high heat, fry bacon until just crisp.
- Add potatoes and saute until browned.
- Remove to bowl and set aside.
- In same pan over same heat, saute onion until softened.
- add the tomatoes with their juice, along with the chili flakes, smoked paprika, half the salt and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Return the potato/bacon mixture.
- Place mixture in greased 7 x 11 baking dish.
- Make 4 indentations in the mixture and gently break the eggs into them.
- Season with the rest of the salt and the pepper.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until eggs are cooked to your desired doneness.
- Sprinkle the thyme over and serve immediately.
This was a very nice presentation for breakfast. It's also great that it can be cooked all in one pan. Made as directed, halving the recipe but using 3 eggs. Also, as it was too hot outside to use my oven, after breaking the eggs into the potato mixture, I put a lid over top the skillet and steamed them cooked. This worked great! Although we used a fresh from the garden tomato, our first bite of the finished dish left us with wanting to put ketchup on it (or hot sauce) We chose ketchup which made it taste wonderful! Next time we will omit the tomatoes and sprinkle the crisp bacon over top. And maybe add some shredded cheese too as it's very adaptable. There's a lot of prep to this recipe, but it's definitely worth trying, and looks great to serve for company. Thanks for sharing the recipe.