Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Serve as an accompaniment to grilled fish or meat, or as a meatless main course with salad.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1 (400 g) can Italian tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 long slender eggplants
- parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat half of the olive oil and saute onion, garlic, parsley, oregano and seasonings for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Halve eggplants lengthwise.
- Heat the other half of the olive oil and gently fry the eggplant for 7 minutes.
- Place eggplants in baking dish. Place tomato mixture on top and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.