Recipe by Demandy
Adapted from ourbestbites.com and found at penniesonaplatter.com.
Top Review by thisbe116
Made these tonight, didn't have cream cheese in the house so I used sour cream to give it a bit of creaminess. It was super good and we agreed that this recipe is a keeper! Very easy and lots of flavor.
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup green chili salsa
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (juice from half a lime)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded mexican flavored cheese
- 8 small corn tortillas or 8 small flour tortillas
- kosher salt
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 425°F Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, ground cumin, chili powder, onion powder and garlic. Once combined, stir in the cilantro and green onions. Add the chicken and cheese; mix thoroughly.
- (If you decided to prep this in advance, refrigerate the mixture at this point until ready to continue.).
- Working with a few tortillas at a time, heat them in the microwave between two paper towels until they are soft enough to roll (about 20 – 30 seconds).
- Spoon 2-3 Tablespoons of the chicken mixture onto the lower third of a tortilla. Roll the tortilla as tightly as you can.
- Place the rolled tortilla seam side down on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas until the mixture is gone. Make sure the taquitos are not touching each other. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until crisp and golden. Serve with salsa, sour cream or guacamole.
- **To freeze: Before baking, chill the taquitos on the baking sheet in the fridge. Once completely cooled, wrap each taquito individually with plastic wrap. Place in a labeled freezer bag and freeze. To bake a frozen taquito (no need to thaw first): Preheat oven to 425F and bake for 20 minutes.