Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
A nice Sunday dinner type of dish, this tender, Louisiana-spiced chicken is slowly cooked at a very low temperature, with frequent basting to ensure a delicious flavor and a wonderful browned color.
- 1 fryer chicken, halved or cut in pieces
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Place chicken in a shallow baking dish.
- Sprinkle with oregano, thyme and basil, then pour in combined olive oil and chicken broth.
- Scatter garlic slices around chicken, then sprinkle with chili powder and paprika.
- Season with salt and pepper, then bake uncovered in a 300 degree F oven for 3 to 3-1/2 hours.
- Turn chicken over after the first 30 minutes; then after an hour, turn chicken again.
- Continue to baste with pan juices every 30 minutes after that, until chicken is browned.
DH loved!!! Very easy to make, but you have to be there every 30 minutes to turn...for 3 hrs.
This was the best ever. Made it the other night and making it again for supper tonight. Followed the recipe exactly