Recipe by lazyme
All the traditional ingredients of everybody's favorite Italian chicken dish--but this easier version is baked instead of simmered on top of the stove. Serve with spaghetti, rice, mashed potatoes or crusty bread for mopping up the sauce. From Ladie's Home Journal.
Top Review by CJAY
Excellent! I used portabello mushrooms, chicken breasts, and roasted red peppers to make this. This was so easy and so good. My chicken was tender as well. I served it with rice and green salad. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT7-Italy.
- 1 chicken, cut up
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 14 1⁄2 ounces Italian-style stewed tomatoes, canned
- 1⁄3 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°F
- Remove skin from all chicken pieces except wings; trim any visible fat.
- Cut chicken breasts crosswise in half.
- Heat oil in large roasting pan in oven 2 minutes.
- Combine flour, 1 teaspoon salt, oregano and pepper in large resealable plastic bag; add chicken pieces, tossing to coat well with flour mixture.
- Arrange chicken in hot oil in roasting pan; roast 20 minutes.
- Stir mushrooms, red pepper and onions into roasting pan with chicken; roast 15 minutes more, stirring once.
- Add tomatoes with their liquid, wine and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, breaking up tomatoes with spoon.
- Roast 10 minutes longer until chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley.