Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
All the traditional ingredients of everybody's favorite Italian chicken dish--but this easier version is baked instead of simmered on top of the stove. Serve with spaghetti, rice, mashed potatoes or crusty bread for mopping up the sauce. From Ladie's Home Journal.
- 1 chicken, cut up
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 14 1⁄2 ounces Italian-style stewed tomatoes, canned
- 1⁄3 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Heat oven to 400°F
- Remove skin from all chicken pieces except wings; trim any visible fat.
- Cut chicken breasts crosswise in half.
- Heat oil in large roasting pan in oven 2 minutes.
- Combine flour, 1 teaspoon salt, oregano and pepper in large resealable plastic bag; add chicken pieces, tossing to coat well with flour mixture.
- Arrange chicken in hot oil in roasting pan; roast 20 minutes.
- Stir mushrooms, red pepper and onions into roasting pan with chicken; roast 15 minutes more, stirring once.
- Add tomatoes with their liquid, wine and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, breaking up tomatoes with spoon.
- Roast 10 minutes longer until chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Excellent! I used portabello mushrooms, chicken breasts, and roasted red peppers to make this. This was so easy and so good. My chicken was tender as well. I served it with rice and green salad. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT7-Italy.
Reviewed for ZWT 7 visit to Italy. Great recipe Lazyme. Such and easy way to cook this recipe. I used 5 large skinless chicken breast pieces and chopped each into three chunks. and used brown rice flour to make this dish gluten-free ...otherwise made the recipe as stated. Served with creamy mashed potatoes for a delicious dinner. The chicken stayed tender. Photo also being posted.
WOW! Great recipe. Lots of flavor and very easy. I used thighs and wings, and I did leave the skin on the thighs, which worked great. They actually got pretty crisp. I also left out the red pepper (I forgot to buy one!) Served with Italian herbed rice and steamed broccoli. Made for ZWT 7.