Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Adapted from the Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery.
Make and share this Baked Celery With Cheese and Ham recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cover celery with salted water, bring to a boil, and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Layer celery, ham and cheese in a well-greased 2-quart casserole.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over low heat.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually stir in broth and cream.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thick.
- Add salt and pour mixture over mixture in casserole.
- Top with bread crumbs.
- Bake until top is browned and mixture is bubbly, 25-30 minutes.
This recipe deserves more than 5 stars! I've made the recipe and DH & I loved it, as is, (aside from adding black pepper to taste) many times and I just realized that I didn't review it. Sorry about that. :( Because of unexpected guests, I discovered this receipe isn't just very good but very flexible in a pinch. (I love those.) I was all ready to put the casserole together when my company arrived. While I chopped an additional 1/2C Ham and 1 Pimento (jared), I sauted a 1/2 of a Medium diced Onion. Added a small can of sliced mushrooms (drained - 30z.) to the mix, layered the casserole following the instructions and baked it. Served with a Salad and Crusty French Bread. It was "loved" by all, but you deserve the credit. Who knew that your Baked Celery With Cheese and Ham would save my day. Parsley is right. Your recipe is "Great" and would work with other cheeses. Thank you for sharing and saving my day.
Nice! I love to see celery used as more of 'the main event' rather than just a small throw-in. This is nice when you need a change. I made this as written, just added some dry mustard to the white sauce. I'd love to play with different cheeses like Swiss, or Gouda or even blue cheese. I think any would work. Thanx for sharing!