Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another recipe I got from my mom. I have a freezer full of fresh summer blueberries so I can make this all year long. Adapted from Gooseberry Patch Hometown Favorites. Refrigerates overnight.
- Place bread in a jelly roll pan.
- In a mixing bowl, add the eggs, half-and-half, and vanilla; mix together.
- Pour mixture over the bread, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- In a mixing bowl, add the sugar, cinnamon, allspice, and cornstarch; stir to mix.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9 baking dish.
- Place chilled bread mixture on top of the blueberry mixture.
- Drizzle butter over the bread.
- Bake in a 450° oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Like the other reviewer, I didn't make this in advance. I wanted "breakfast for dinner" so it only sat for 15 min at the most. But half the bread that I used was from old burger buns which would have disintigrated if left much longer. My other subsitution was to use vanilla soy milk (omitting the vanilla) for allergy reasons-- greatly helped with the calories as well!
I wish there was another way to give the amount of bread. Perhaps the amount in cups after being torn? French bread comes in many sizes so slices isn't very helpful. I tore them into the baking dish until it looked right...not sure if I got the proportions correct. I liked the spices in the dish but found it TOO sweet. The soymilk may have contributed a little to that. Next time I will half the sugar. (I DO want to make it again! Maybe to take to MOPS next time I am on for a breakfast dish).
This was very good , I did not make it the night before , I soaked whole slices of bread for about 10 minutes. It was still delish , next time i will follow instructions.