Baked-Bean Style Bean Soup
- Wash and pick over the beans, and put them in a pot with enough water to come up above them by 3 or 4 inches.
- Bring to a boil, turn off the heat, and soak overnight.
- In the morning, drain the beans and add the ham stock and the split peas, bay leaves and pepper.
- Bring to a boil then simmer gently until the beans are tender.
- Use a little stock to thin the molasses and tomato paste, and stir it into the soup.
- Add the carrots and ginger, and continue to simmer the soup until the carrots are tender.
- Add the ham, and add salt to taste (which will likely only be needed if your ham is unsalted.) Add water if the soup gets too thick; stir frequently to prevent scorching.
- Bean soup is best the day after it has been cooked.