Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
East Texas is full of large ponds and lakes full of trout and other fresh water fish. We're always looking for another great fish recipe and I found this on another site; however, chef unknown.
- 3⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 large onions, sliced thin
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons rosemary, chopped & divided (Sub with thyme, tarragon, or savory)
- 16 ounces chicken broth (low-salt)
- 1 cup heavy cream (or Half & Half)
- 6 (10 ounce) trout, cleaned (optional ( leaving heads and tails intact)
- salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bacon, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 sprigs fresh herbs
- In a heavy saucepan boil vinegar, water, onions (about 4 cups), sugar, and 2 teaspoons chopped rosemary or substituted herb, stirring occasionally, 7 minutes, or until onions are slightly softened.
- Remove pan from heat and let stand 15 minutes.
- In a coarse sieve set over another saucepan drain onions, RESERVING cooking liquid.
- Transfer onion compote to a bowl and cool.
- Boil reserved cooking liquid with remaining 2 teaspoons chopped rosemary until reduced to about 3/4 cup.
- Add broth and boil liquid until reduced to about 1 1/2 cups.
- Stir in cream and boil sauce until reduced to about 2 cups.
- Reserve sauce in pan.
- Preheat oven to 450F and lightly oil a large shallow baking pan.
- Rinse trout under cold water and pat dry inside and out. Fill cavity of each trout with onion compote and season with salt and pepper.
- Wrap 4 slices bacon around middle of each trout, overlapping them slightly (optional)leave head and tail exposed.
- In a 12-inch heavy skillet heat oil over moderately high heat and brown trout, 2 at a time, until bacon is completely browned, about 5 minutes.
- Pour off excess fat between batches and transferring trout as browned with a long spatula to oiled pan.
- Top each trout with 2 herb sprigs and bake in middle of oven 15 to 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Pour off remaining fat from skillet and deglaze skillet with reserved sauce over medium heat, scraping up any brown bits.
- Strain sauce through a fine sieve into saucepan. Season sauce with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- Divide sauce among 6 plates and top with trout.
- Serves 6.