Southern Lady's Note:
East Texas is full of large ponds and lakes full of trout and other fresh water fish. We're always looking for another great fish recipe and I found this on another site; however, chef unknown.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 large onions, sliced thin
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons rosemary, chopped & divided (Sub with thyme, tarragon, or savory)
- 16 ounces chicken broth (low-salt)
- 1 cup heavy cream (or Half & Half)
- 6 (10 ounce) trout, cleaned (optional ( leaving heads and tails intact)
- salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 lbs bacon, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 sprigs fresh herbs
- 1In a heavy saucepan boil vinegar, water, onions (about 4 cups), sugar, and 2 teaspoons chopped rosemary or substituted herb, stirring occasionally, 7 minutes, or until onions are slightly softened.
- 2Remove pan from heat and let stand 15 minutes.
- 3In a coarse sieve set over another saucepan drain onions, RESERVING cooking liquid.
- 4Transfer onion compote to a bowl and cool.
- 5Boil reserved cooking liquid with remaining 2 teaspoons chopped rosemary until reduced to about 3/4 cup.
- 6Add broth and boil liquid until reduced to about 1 1/2 cups.
- 7Stir in cream and boil sauce until reduced to about 2 cups.
- 8Reserve sauce in pan.
- 9Preheat oven to 450F and lightly oil a large shallow baking pan.
- 10Rinse trout under cold water and pat dry inside and out. Fill cavity of each trout with onion compote and season with salt and pepper.
- 11Wrap 4 slices bacon around middle of each trout, overlapping them slightly (optional)leave head and tail exposed.
- 12In a 12-inch heavy skillet heat oil over moderately high heat and brown trout, 2 at a time, until bacon is completely browned, about 5 minutes.
- 13Pour off excess fat between batches and transferring trout as browned with a long spatula to oiled pan.
- 14Top each trout with 2 herb sprigs and bake in middle of oven 15 to 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- 15Pour off remaining fat from skillet and deglaze skillet with reserved sauce over medium heat, scraping up any brown bits.
- 16Strain sauce through a fine sieve into saucepan. Season sauce with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- 17Divide sauce among 6 plates and top with trout.
- 18Serves 6.
Browse Our Top Trout Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bacon Wrapped Trout
Serving Size: 1 (675 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1203.5
- Calories from Fat 786
- Total Fat 87.4 g
- Saturated Fat 29.9 g
- Cholesterol 297.1 mg
- Sodium 1368.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 18.2 g
- Protein 75.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: