Recipe by Ambassadress of GoodHumor
From an old 1979 issue of Southern Living. My 21 year old son still requests this treat often.
Top Review by * Pamela *
I made these for a brunch and they were gone in no time! I loved the fact that I could make them a few days in advance and freeze them. I ended up using white bread instead of the mixed grain but I'm sure the mixed grain tastes better. I baked them for 30 minutes and then broiled them for a moment just to toast the bread a golden brown. I think I will serve this at my next brunch as well!
- 2 (170.09 g) package cream cheese with chives (softened)
- 14.79 ml milk or 14.79 ml mayonnaise
- 25 slice mixed grain bread (crusts removed & cut in half)
- 25 slice bacon (cut in half)
- parsley sprig (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cream cheese and milk (or mayonnaise) stirring until of spreading consistency.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of cheese mixture on each halved bread slice.
- Roll tightly from the smallest end.
- Wrap with bacon and secure with toothpick.
- Place on broiler pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
- Turn if necessary.
- Garnish with parsley if desired.
- Note: These may be assembled ahead of time and frozen before cooking. To serve, remove frozen rollups from freezer and allow to thaw in the refrigerator over night. Then bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 to 40 minutes.