Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is NOT your momma's heirloom stuffing! Bread, cornbread, jalapeno, pepper jack and bacon? Comfort with a kick. This recipe will set you apart. I hijacked this from the Food Network last year
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 8 cups white bread cubes, toasted
- 6 cups crumbled cornbread (unsweetened buttermilk)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- In a large deep skillet, saute 1/4 pound diced bacon in 2 tablespoons butter for 5 minutes; transfer to paper towels.
- Season with salt and pepper and add 1 chopped onion, 3 chopped celery stalks, 1 diced jalapeno, 1 tablespoon thyme and 3/4 teaspoon chili powder; cook 5 minutes.
- Pour in 3 cups chicken broth. Simmer until step 5.
- In a large bowl, mix 2 eggs, 1 cup diced pepper jack cheese and the bacon.
- Add to the bowl 8 cups toasted white bread cubes, 6 cups crumbled cornbread and the hot broth mixture.
- Gently toss the stuffing, then spread in a buttered 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Dot the top with butter or turkey pan drippings, cover and bake 30 minutes at 350. Uncover and bake until golden, 20 more minutes.