Recipe by bluemoon downunder
An almost vegetarian alternative to a meat loaf with some of the same flavours as stuffed cabbages but probably a bit quicker to make. Vegetarian if you leave out the bacon, of course, but the bacon adds SO much flavour. Serve with a salad and tzaziki as a sauce, or your favourite tomato or vegetable sauce or salsa or with my warm cucumber sauce, recipe for Salmon Loaf and Cucumber Sauce #118672. The preparation time includes ten minutes for the mixture to cool.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a very good recipe! I used sweet red bell peppers and baked it in a square baking pan, I did increase most of the ingredients slightly. This is a recipe I will be certain to make again, it's so good! thanks bluemoon...Kitten
- 20 g unsalted butter
- 5 slices bacon, rinds and all fat removed
- 4 cups cabbage, preferably Savoy, shredded
- 1 red capsicum, finely diced
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 2 medium potatoes, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1⁄2-2 tablespoon plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat the oven to a moderately hot temperature.
- Lightly grease a loaf pan.
- Heat the butter in a sauté pan (preferably non-stick) and sauté the diced capsicum, bacon, onions and garlic until the capsicum and onions are just beginning to soften.
- Add the potato and cabbage and, while stirring, sauté the mixture for about 5 minutes or until the cabbage has softened.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl to help it to cool.
- Add the herbs: the marjoram, thyme and parsley.
- Once the mixture has cooled, stir in the flour, the lightly beaten eggs and the grated parmesan.
- Stir until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Press the mixture into the lightly greased loaf pan.
- Bake in a moderately hot oven for about 40 minutes or until firm.
- Serve with salad and tzaziki, your favourite sauce or salsa or with my warm cucumber sauce, recipe #118672 for Salmon Loaf and Cucumber Sauce.
- Chef's Note: Because the sizes of potatoes and onions vary, because undoubtedly I've often used more than strictly "3 cups" of cabbage, and because sometimes I've certainly used more parmesan, the final quantity of the mixture has varied. And really exact proportions are not crucial with a recipe like this. So if you have more mixture than will fit into your loaf pan, butter an appropriately-sized small casserole dish for the spillover amount. Keep an eye on the dish with the smaller quantity in it: it will probably need to come out of the oven well before the loaf pan.