Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a basic mix to start with when you're planning a camping trip. Use it to make dumplings, pancakes, and fruit cobblers. If you travel with more 'stuff' you can bake biscuits and short cakes too.
- 6 cups unbleached flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable shortening
- Combine all the dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Stir to mix well.
- Cut in the shortening until the mix looks like corn meal.
- see"Backpacking dumplings","Backpacking pancakes","Backpacking biscuits"and"backpacking cobbler"for uses for this mix.
This is wonderful. I've taken it on many hunting and fishing trips. I really recommend keeping some on hand at home too.