Recipe by Kirby
A fruit sweetened carrot cake, perfect for a baby or anyone who wants to stay away from sugar. Great with cream cheese frosting or alone for an everyday snack. Freezes well.
Top Review by AlainaF
Made this for my sons 1st birthday, and for 3 chefs contest. I made it with homemade whipped cream cheese frosting, and loved it! I had extra leftover batter since I made my sons cake small, so I decided to make cake pops with the remainder for his party, and they came out great! Everyone loved them!!! Great recipe, thanks!
- 2 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 2 1⁄4 cups apple juice concentrate
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (King Aurthur brand "White Whole Wheat" is a lighter alternative)
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 whole eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened apple juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the sliced carrots with 1 Cup pluse 2 Tbl. of the apple juice concentrate in a pan, bringing it to a boil. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the carrots are soft. Puree carrots and juice with the raisins in a food processor.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two 9-inch square cake pans with parchment paper, also greasing the parchment.
- Mix flour, wheat germ, cinnamon and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
- Add remaining wet ingredients, adding the carrot/raisin puree last, folding inches
- Pour evenly into two cake pans.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick comes clean.
- Wait until cakes or cooled until you frost.