Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
A fruit sweetened carrot cake, perfect for a baby or anyone who wants to stay away from sugar. Great with cream cheese frosting or alone for an everyday snack. Freezes well.
- 2 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 2 1⁄4 cups apple juice concentrate
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (King Aurthur brand "White Whole Wheat" is a lighter alternative)
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 whole eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- Combine the sliced carrots with 1 Cup pluse 2 Tbl. of the apple juice concentrate in a pan, bringing it to a boil. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the carrots are soft. Puree carrots and juice with the raisins in a food processor.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two 9-inch square cake pans with parchment paper, also greasing the parchment.
- Mix flour, wheat germ, cinnamon and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
- Add remaining wet ingredients, adding the carrot/raisin puree last, folding inches
- Pour evenly into two cake pans.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick comes clean.
- Wait until cakes or cooled until you frost.
Made this for my sons 1st birthday, and for 3 chefs contest. I made it with homemade whipped cream cheese frosting, and loved it! I had extra leftover batter since I made my sons cake small, so I decided to make cake pops with the remainder for his party, and they came out great! Everyone loved them!!! Great recipe, thanks!