Recipe by Lorac
An easier and quicker version of Easter Babka. Denser more cake-like and less complicated if you haven't made bread without a machine. Add the Lucre from the Easter version for a sweeter presentation. Posted by request.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk, scalded
- 2 compressed yeast cakes or 2 (1/16 ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
- 5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon rind
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, chopped
- 1 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Scald milk and pour over sugar and butter, Cool.
- Dissolve yeast in a little of the milk mixture and add back to the rest of the milk mixture Add 1/2 of the flour and beat well.
- Add salt to the eggs and beat until thick.
- Add eggs to the flour mixture and mix well.
- Add remaining ingredients and knead for 15 minutes.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place free from drafts until doubled in bulk (about 60 minutes.) Place in a well greased tube pan, sprinkled with breadcrumbs and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.